Blog to Self

Monday, May 26, 2008

Welcome to Tornado Alley

A friend expressed concern that they heard a tornado hit Wichita recently. But as far as I know there haven't been any tornadoes to hit Wichita itself, though there have been thunderstorms regularly the past week or so. There have been some tornadoes in the western part of the state. Last week there was one in Colorado that killed someone, and I guess Iowa had one yesterday -- both neighbors of Kansas. I was in my car about 40 minutes ago and it was hailing a bit -- less than marble size though, and just for a minute where I was.

The chances of one hitting wherever I'm at are probably smaller than that of getting into a car accident in any urban environment. Also consider this:

Kansas is about 50% larger than NY State by square miles.

NY: ~54,000
KS: ~82,000

--http://www.wisegeek.com/how-big-are-the-states-in-america.htm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home