Blog to Self

Thursday, May 15, 2008

On Free* Will in Wichita

I arrived in Wichita on Friday, May 9, 2008, at sunset (8:00 PM). It's been 10 days.

I needed to remind myself that I can make my own world. I control my own destiny* -- Yes, I am the master of my destiny!*

*(I can control and shape my own environment, world, life and destiny--if not entirely, at the least more than any other human entity in this life, that I know of! -- Is that enough of a disclaimer? Did I leave out any other contingencies? ...how about "Higher Power notwithstanding")

This thought comes from the anxiety I have wrestled with the last few days about the location of my new apartment here in Wichita. There are about a dozen fast food chains within 2 blocks of my apartment complex. South Seneca is a bit like parts of Central Ave (though less "ghetto") in Albany, or Western or Ashland on the north side of Chicago. The complex itself is thankfully set back from the road a good 50-70 yards or so (?). But every time I leave or come home I have to pass McDonald's, Pizza Hut, KFC, etc. -- and a XXX cinema place to boot just a block away. The useful gas station and Starbuck's w/a drive thru, though welcome, do not make up for the blatantly ugly consumer culture of the strip.

What I realized is that I can approach and leave my place via a side street, cut over to Pawnee near the river, get right on McLean along the (Arkansas) river, where there are no businesses whatsoever, just the river with a bike path and greenery along it.

I can choose my own path in this life.*

Here is a photo welcome to Wichita courtesy of S. Seneca.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home