Blog to Self

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Filing on the Fortieth Floor, Pt. III: My Lunch, My Cubicle, and NYS Acronyms




First off, here's a picture of a model of the Corning Tower so you can get a sense of what I'm talking about. The footprint of the building is like a long narrow diamond with the ends cut off -- basically. 'X' marks the spot where I work.






Next, here's the view from my cubicle:
This is the southeast corner of the building -- the one represented by the picture of the model, actually -- As I said, I've drawn an 'X' roughly where my cubicle on the 40th fl looks out on the world.






When you get up to the window to the right of the chair in this picture, here's the view:














It was suggested that I supply a lunch tray shot from, the 29th fl cafeteria. so here's my lunch on the 29th floor looking north. You can see the Bell tower of the City Hall a little right of center. In the second picture, the red-roofed building cut off on the left is , I believe, the Capitol building. And then the Mighty Muddy Hudson!


Bon Appetit!


















I'm learning a lot of acronyms: OMH, OMRDD, DDSO, SEMO, GORR (I altready knew that one), NYSED CEC, NYSED VESID, DOCS, and of course, the department in which I work, OGS, the Office of General Services. If you can name four of the acronyms you get a free subscription to this blog...


OGS takes up up the top several floors of the Corning tower and includes the Department of Risk and Insurance Management for which the Remi group (for which I work) manages the office machine policies for most every agency in the State Gub'mint. I get to file (literally) claims/ invoices for copy machine repairs. That's the boring part of the job. The exciting part is taking pictures ou of the window while no one is looking, hoping you don't look like a tourist in the prevailing staid office environment. Golf and American Idol are the most commonly recurring themes of conversation. Now that I'm writing more, I feel like I ought to leave off with one last picture. This one is actually relatively informative, though it doesn't give Corning's dates, it gives his full name and tells you Cuomo was Guv'nor and that it was dedicated in 1983...

2 Comments:

  • Erastus Corning 2nd (October 7, 1909 - May 28, 1983). So the building must have killed him.

    By Blogger Roger Owen Green, at 2:03 PM  

  • OMH = Office Mental Health
    SEMO = State Emergency Management Office
    VESID = Vocation and Educational Services for Individuals with Disabilities
    DOCS = Department Of Correctional Services

    By Blogger Nothing, at 5:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home